Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Colourpop can you hear me now? Good!

 I selected Colourpop Cosmetics as my brand to blog about this week.  I’ve always liked makeup and in my mid twenties I heard about the brand Colourpop.  They are known for offering quality cosmetics at an affordable price.  What drew me to them initially was their vibrant eyeshadow colors and great prices.  https://colourpop.com/pages/about-us 

Over the years I’ve purchased many of their eyeshadow palettes and keep coming back because of the clever launches they do.  Colourpop has collaborated in the past with Disney and has recently launched an Avatar The Last Airbender Collection. https://youtu.be/AqcN7GrQdDA They are known for taking suggestions from their social media and launching themed collections that their cult followers, spam requests for.  



On Instagram they have 10.1 million followers and they have 989.7k followers on Tik Tok.https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdCDBnRx
They have mostly positive comments on their Instagram account on the new 80’s themed collection called Let’s Roll. One comment however was a plea from a fan for a matte lilac eyeshadow palette to which the Colourpop account  responded the same day it was posted in a positive and thankful way.   This Let’s Roll collection includes a 10 pan eyeshadow palette, a signature Super Shock Blush, two signature Super Shock Shadow duos, 3 plumping lip glosses, a shimmering body powder, a shimmering body oil, and 2 face crystals.  


Colourpop uses storytelling on their Tik Tok.  By creating a light hearted feeling featuring their products displayed against the green of a tennis court and two people flaunting roller skates almost dancing around in the background.  All of this gives you the feeling that this product is fun and you should have fun using it.

After two days posting my comment to the Colourpop instagram I noticed not only did they not respond to my suggestion, the comment had been deleted.  This leads into what problems this brand faces.  One is their failure to optimize their social media advertising.  For a brand that originated exclusively online and got the majority of their sales from social media coverage they seem to be lacking in that department as the brand grows.https://commonthreadco.com/blogs/coachs-corner/colourpop-case-study

As much as it hurt my feelings to be ignored like this as a long time customer I’m still loyal.  I remember in 2016 when they grew so much their orders were delayed substantially because they couldn’t keep up with demand.  I received a personalized email apologizing for the delay, a site credit that equated to half the value of my order, and freebies included in my late order.

I think moving forward they have to return to their social media roots, listen to what people are saying, and remind their long-time customers that they still hear them.  Responding more consistently on social media should be the first step.       


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colourpop can you hear me now? Good!

  I selected Colourpop Cosmetics as my brand to blog about this week.  I’ve always liked makeup and in my mid twenties I heard about the bra...